Torta mandorle e grappa con glassa al melograno: Almond-grappa cake with pomegranate icing
Mood stabilizing, a natural and sweet remedy against autumn disorders, while at the same time, enhancing your immune system. We have included a gluten-free variant in the Recipe notes below.
- 90 gr almond flour
- 90 gr wheat flour (GLUTEN FREE: Farina di ceci - chick pea flour)
- 50 gr brown cane sugar
- 7 tablespoons bergamot honey (or any citrus honey)
- 50 gr butter
- 3 teaspoons spice mixture (caccia-caigo): cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, dried rose petals
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons grappa
- 50 ml milk (or sweet cream in case you have cold)
Mix the flours with two teaspoons baking powder. In a second bowl, create a smooth paste consisting of 50 gr sugar, 50 gr butter, honey, spice mixture, and one egg. Add your flour mix to this paste, and carefully stir in 50 ml milk and the grappa.
Pour the cake mixture into a round cake form and bake for approx. 25 minutes (160 degrees Celsius,) or until golden brown - you can see the right color in the image).
Wait for approx. ten minutes before you decorate your cake with a frosting made from 4 tablespoons citrus honey, 5 tablespoons sugar, and the pomegranate juice.
GLUTEN FREE VARIANT:
PS: Most historical Venetian recipes were gluten free in the first place, or can be easily adapted. So they would be very USEFUL in our times.
- Substitute wheat flour with chick pea flour. You could also use almond flour ONLY, which would be a very luxurious variant of the cake. In that case, you might need some 2-3 tablespoons additional honey.
- Substitute the egg with 3 tablespoons honey.
- Substitute butter with margarine.
- Substitute milk with almond milk.
- You could also substitute the grappa with almond milk and/or organic apple juice.
- The gluten-free variant requires a careful mix of spices: Create a mixture of 1 heaped tablespoon cinnamon, 1 flat tablespoon cardamom, 1 teaspoon white or black (ground) pepper. You could also add 1-2 dried rose petals, or a few drops of rose essence to enhance the flavor of the spices.